Archive for the ‘Workplace Deaths’ Category

Workers’ Compensation for Undocumented Workers: A New Blog Series

Posted on

Today we begin a new series on the blog about the process of applying for workers’ compensation in North Carolina if you are an undocumented worker.

Despite what your employer, the insurance company or coworkers may have told you, if you are hurt at work, you are eligible for workers’ compensation benefits regardless of your immigration status.  These benefits include lost wages and medical treatment, as well as death benefits for family members of workers killed on the job.

Workers’ compensation cases involving undocumented workers can be challenging, and the other side will do everything they can to deny benefits. That’s why it’s important to have an experienced team of attorneys and paralegals working on your behalf. We have an entire bilingual team here at the Deuterman Law Group who are qualified to represent undocumented workers and who will work to get them the full range of benefits they are entitled.

In this multi-part series, we will cover the following:

  • An undocumented workers’ rights under the law
  • Whether you can be fired for filing a workers’ compensation claim
  • Whether you can be deported for filing a workers’ compensation claim
  • How immigration status affects a workers’ compensation claim
  • Your rights to an interpreter in court and for medical appointments
  • What happens if you’ve worked using a different name or a borrowed Social Security number
  • Where to get medical treatment if you’ve been injured on the job
  • The importance of medical treatment
  • What to do if the company denies you are an employee
  • Determining whether you were an employee or an independent contractor
  • What happens if your employer doesn’t carry workers’ compensation insurance
  • The role of our firm investigator plays in collecting evidence for your workers’ comp claim
  • How to prove employment when no official records exist
  • What to expect during a workers’ compensation claim hearing or mediation
  • Death benefits available to the families of workers killed on the job
  • Wrapping up your claim and collecting your benefits

Men at much greater risk for workplace deaths, injuries

Posted on No Comments

Men face a disproportionate risk of dying or being injured on the job, according to statistics from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The reason is simple: men are more likely to work in dangerous injuries such as construction (90 percent male) and manufacturing (70 percent male), where the bulk of workplace accidents and deaths occur. Female-dominated industries such as health care and education have fewer incidents of deaths and injuries.

Approximately 7% of fatalities in 2008 were women, leaving men accounting for a whopping 93% of all workplace fatalities. Men were over 13 times more likely to die while on the job compared with women according to the report issued by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Writer Katie Kelley has some thoughts on what these statistics mean for men and women in the workplace when it comes to compensation.