What is a Drug Overdose Legal Case?
While there are many causes of drug overdose legal cases, those caused by an error made by a medical professional are especially egregious because of the violation of trust and duty resulting from the medical negligence.
Accidental prescription drug overdose often occurs without warning, signs, or a prior history of drug abuse, which can leave families confused and angry. Overdoses can be fatal or have long-term negative impacts on the patient’s health including:
- Brain damage
- Damage to internal organs
Drug overdose and medical error: who is to blame?
Sometimes medical professionals make costly mistakes that can lead to serious harm or the death of their patients. Possible responsible parties include:
- The physician who prescribed the medication: he or she may have prescribed too much of the medicine, given the wrong dose, failed to monitor the patient afterwards, or prescribed a medication that is dangerous to the patient because of their medical history or other drugs they are currently taking;
- The physician who prescribed the medicine: some doctors are guilty of illegally running “pill mills” which dispense large quantities of highly addictive medications;
- The hospital, if the medication was given during a hospitalization or emergency room visit;
- The pharmacy or pharmacist if the wrong drug or dosage was given, or other mistakes were made when filling the prescription for the patient.
How to get legal help for accidental prescription drug overdose
If you or a loved one has suffered harm from a prescription drug overdose due to a medical error, you can seek justice from the negligent medical professional by filing a medical malpractice lawsuit. It’s also important to report the responsible party to the appropriate regulatory agency to prevent others from suffering the same fate.
In a successful lawsuit, you can recover compensation for the monetary, emotional, and mental losses you have suffered, including:
- Medical expenses
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of wages and other income
- Loss of companionship
- Pain and suffering
- Other damages
An experienced attorney can help your family pursue justice in the event of an accidental prescription drug overdose. For compassionate, knowledgeable representation for you or your loved one, please contact our office today to schedule your initial consultation.