Nursing Home Neglect
Unfortunately, nursing home abuse and neglect is a common occurrence today. Many families are shocked at the lack of care and outright abuse that sometimes occurs in nursing homes. In some instances, this abuse and neglect doesn’t come to the families’ attention until a resident is injured, and their physical and mental well-being has been put in severe danger.
Nursing home companies are for-profit, and some put their financial well-being far ahead of the care they’re supposed to provide to their residents. This can lead to unsafe conditions, inadequate care, and a poor quality of life.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
There are many examples of nursing home abuse and neglect that can result in injury to nursing home residents. The following are some of the more common types of acts that result in injuries and claims:
- Failure to provide basic nutrition and hydration
- Failure to ensure residents’ personal hygiene
- Errors with prescription medication
- Failure to provide proper medical care and/or not adhering to physician orders
- Poorly designed and maintained facilities
- Unresponsive attendants and staff
- Physical abuse of the resident
- Emotional or verbal abuse
- Sexual assault or other criminal acts inflicted on a resident; and
- Stealing a resident’s possessions and money.
If you, or another family member, feel that your loved one has been the victim of abuse or neglect in a North Carolina nursing home, immediately contact the Deuterman Law Group and speak to one of our experienced attorneys. We’ll help report the issue to the proper authorities, such as the county Adult Protective Services office. And we’ll gather information to assist in the investigation and prepare a claim against the owners and operators of the nursing home.